Rafael Nadal, Maria Sharapova win ESPY awards
Zee Media Bureau
Los Angeles: Multiple Grand Slam winners Rafael Nadal and Maria Sharapova won the ESPY Award for Best Male and Female Tennis Player respectively.
Nadal beat Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray to win the award for the first time since 2011. It`s his second award from tenth straight nomination for the Spaniard. The winner of 14 Major titles tweeted "Very happy for this award!" after the awards ceremony.
Very happy for this award! Thanks to @ESPYS and to all of you for always supporting me.
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) July 17, 2014
The 28-year-old, however, missed out on the Best International Athlete Award which was won by Real Madrid super-star Cristiano Ronaldo. Women’s golfing sensation Inbee Park and Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel were other nominees.
For Maria Sharapova, it was her fifth title at the ESPY`s. The Russian pin-up girl has previously won the title in 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2012. Only Serena Williams, who was also nominated, has more titles with six. Li Na and Agnieszka Radwanska were other nominees.
With Angency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says