Rafael Nadal, Maria Sharapova win ESPY awards
Zee Media Bureau
Los Angeles: Multiple Grand Slam winners Rafael Nadal and Maria Sharapova won the ESPY Award for Best Male and Female Tennis Player respectively.
Nadal beat Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray to win the award for the first time since 2011. It`s his second award from tenth straight nomination for the Spaniard. The winner of 14 Major titles tweeted "Very happy for this award!" after the awards ceremony.
Very happy for this award! Thanks to @ESPYS and to all of you for always supporting me.
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) July 17, 2014
The 28-year-old, however, missed out on the Best International Athlete Award which was won by Real Madrid super-star Cristiano Ronaldo. Women’s golfing sensation Inbee Park and Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel were other nominees.
For Maria Sharapova, it was her fifth title at the ESPY`s. The Russian pin-up girl has previously won the title in 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2012. Only Serena Williams, who was also nominated, has more titles with six. Li Na and Agnieszka Radwanska were other nominees.
With Angency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today