Rafael Nadal to miss US Open due to knee injury
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New York: Seven-time French Open champion Rafael Nadal on Wednesday withdrew from US Open, the last Grand Slam tennis tournament of the year because of injury.
Notbaly the Spaniard hasn`t played a match since June 28, when he was upset in the second round of Wimbledon by 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol.
Nadal also pulled out of the London Olympics and a hard-court tuneup tournament in Cincinnati.
The Spaniard won the 2010 US Open to complete a career Grand Slam and was the runner-up to Novak Djokovic last year.
US Open tournament director David Brewer says in a statement Tuesday: "Rafa has informed us that he will not be ready to compete at the US Open this year."
The US open will kick-off at Flushing Meadows on August 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand