Rafael Nadal to miss US Open due to knee injury
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New York: Seven-time French Open champion Rafael Nadal on Wednesday withdrew from US Open, the last Grand Slam tennis tournament of the year because of injury.
Notbaly the Spaniard hasn`t played a match since June 28, when he was upset in the second round of Wimbledon by 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol.
Nadal also pulled out of the London Olympics and a hard-court tuneup tournament in Cincinnati.
The Spaniard won the 2010 US Open to complete a career Grand Slam and was the runner-up to Novak Djokovic last year.
US Open tournament director David Brewer says in a statement Tuesday: "Rafa has informed us that he will not be ready to compete at the US Open this year."
The US open will kick-off at Flushing Meadows on August 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured