Rafael Nadal wins Brazil Open
Sao Paulo: Former world No.1 Rafael Nadal clinched his first tournament victory since returning from a seven-month layoff by defeating Argentina`s David Nalbandian 6-2, 6-3 in the final of the Brazil Open and hoped that this would be a start of "something good".
It was the Spaniard`s second Brazil Open triumph, having won the tournament as an 18-year-old in 2005.
Despite its relatively modest status as an ATP 250 event, Nadal pumped his fist in the air in jubilation upon securing his 51st singles title at the Ibirapuera arena Sunday.
"Brazil will always be in my heart," the 11-time grand slam winner said. "Big things started to happen after I won here in 2005 and hopefully this is the start of something good again."
The tournament was Nadal`s second event since suffering a left knee injury during his second-round Wimbledon defeat to Czech Lukas Rosol in June last year.
He returned to play the Chile Open last week, losing to world No.73 Horacio Zeballos in the final.
The 26-year-old admitted he was yet to reach full match fitness, but said victory in Brazil gave him hope the worst was behind him.
"When the knee is feeling better I feel like that I can do more of the things that I used to do," he said. "If the pain is bearable, then it`s fine."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly