Rain washes out US Open Tuesday play
New York: Rain washed out all play at the US Open on Tuesday, leaving defending champion Rafael Nadal and title rival Andy Murray kicking their heels in frustration.
After delaying the start of play, organizers announced that a poor forecast had prompted them to cancel both the day and night sessions for Tuesday, the ninth day of the Grand Slam tournament.
Play was expected to resume on Wednesday morning.
"The latest forecast indicates worsening conditions with no projected breaks in the rain through the remainder of the day and into the night," the US Tennis Association said in a statement issued at 1:40pm (17:40 GMT), about 2 1/2 hours after the scheduled start of play.
"Due to this forecast, the USTA is cancelling the Tuesday, September 6 Day Session and the Tuesday, September 6 Night Session.
"Play will resume tomorrow, Wednesday, September 7 at 11am, weather permitting."
The downpours again looked set to spark more questions over the decision by the Flushing Meadows authorities not to follow the lead of the Australian Open and Wimbledon in building a retractable roof over its main court.
Rain has bedevilled the tournament in recent times with the men`s final, scheduled for the last Sunday of the fortnight, carried over to the Monday for the last three years.
Murray had been due to begin proceedings on the Arthur Ashe Stadium against Donald Young of the United States followed by Nadal`s clash against Gilles Muller of Luxembourg.
In the day`s other men`s last 16 matches, Spain`s David Ferrer had been scheduled to face former champion Andy Roddick with John Isner tackling Gilles Simon.
Also postponed were the first two women`s quarterfinals, which pitted German Angelique Kerber against Italy`s Flavia Pennetta and Samantha Stosur of Australia against Russian Vera Zvonareva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range