Ramkumar qualifies for Chennai Open, faces Somdev in 1st round
Chennai: Living up to the hopes of local fans, young Ramkumar Ramanathan stormed into singles main draw of the Aircel Chennai Open after a hard-fought win over higher-ranked Slovakian Norbert Gombos in the final round of the qualifiers, here on Monday.
Ramkumar, ranked 526, ousted Gombos, who is ranked 197, 7-6(3), 3-6, 6-3 after two hours and six minutes battle.
However, he has been pitted against India`s best singles player Somdev Devvarman in his first round match.
In a brief chat with newspersons after making the main draw, Ramkumar said, "It was a tough match from the beginning against the Norbert. But I was in control. It was just a couple of points that mattered."
Expressing happiness about qualifying for a big international event like Chennai Open, Ramkumar said " I will do my best for my country."
He said he would also be playing in the ITF Futures tournaments to be held in Chennai and a few other Indian cities, in February 2013.
Talking about his first round match, the Indian said, "I will stick to my strengths and try to win each point and I am not worried about my rival".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users