Ranjeet faces Cho in tie opener against Korea
New Delhi: V M Ranjeet will open India`s Davis Cup campaign against an unranked but talented Min Hyeok Cho of Korea in the Asia/Oceania Group I tie, beginning on Friday.
India number two Vijayant Malik will take on Korea number one Suk-Young Jeong in the second singles on day one of the tie at the R K Khanna Tennis stadium.
Surprisingly, Korea chose not to field their number two player Yong-Kyu Lim on day one, keeping him fresh for the doubles rubber on Saturday.
On day two, Leander Paes and Purav Raja will take on Lim and Ji Sung Nam.
On the final day of the tie, Ranjeet will play Jeong while Malik will take on Cho in the reverse singles.
India`s non-playing captain S P Misra said the draw has come out well for the hosts.
"It`s a positive draw. I always wanted our number one player (Ranjeet) to play first. If he can pull off something, it becomes easy for our second player," he said at the post-draw press conference.
Paes, the senior-most player involved in the tie, said gelling with Purav Raja will be a "true test" since they are playing for the first time together.
"Their doubles players look good. It really looks interesting for us. Purav is a fabulous player with a lot of skill and game. We need to gel well, it`s about combination and communication especially when the surface is slow and bouncing," Paes said.
"All four players will have to bring their game together on the court. Doubles is about finding holes in the match."
Ranjeet also looked charged up for the tie-opener saying, "Honestly, I wanted to play the first match. I was expecting to play against Lim but I am happy that I will not be playing him. It`s not that I underestimate the other player, just good that I will be playing the other guy. I will try to get the first point."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'