Ranjeet, Vignesh bow out; Jeevan continues his good run
New Delhi: Even as top seed Jeevan Nedunchezhiya continued his impressive run to enter the men`s singles quarterfinals, it was curtains for two of the top four seeds with PC Vignesh and VM Ranjeet withdrawing due to injuries at the Fenesta Open National championship here on Wednesday.
With scores locked at one-all after the first two sets, second seed VM Ranjeet was trailing 0-1 in the third when he twisted his ankle and failed continue any further.
That resulted in Arjun Khade advancing to the last eight stage of the men`s singles event.
Fourth seed Vignesh, who lost the first set 4-6 to Saurabh Singh, faced some health issues later in the set, and that forced him to concede the match.
Jeevan, meanwhile, registered a 6-2, 3-6, 6-1 win over Ajai Selvaraj, whose shoulder started troubling him towards the later part of the match.
Third seed Siddharth Rawat made a safe passage into the next round, defeating Kaza V Sharma 7-6 (4), 6-1.
In the other matches of the men`s singles, Vinod Sridhar fell to fifth seed Ashwin Vijayaraghawa 2-6, 1-6, while Mohit Mayur Jayaprakash shut the door on Ronak Manuja 6-3, 6-1.
In the women`s singles, top Rishika Sunkara advanced into the quarterfinals with a comfortable 6-2, 6-3 win over Devanshi Bhemjiyan.
Second seed Prerna Bhambri was hardly challenged by Tarranum Handa, who came into the match after a win in her under-18 match against Mahitha Dadireddy earlier in the day.
Prerna made it to the next round with an easy 6-2, 6-2 win.
Third seed Natasha Palha outplayed Damini Sharma 6-2, 6-3, while fourth seed Shweta C Rana got the better of C Sai Samitha 6-2, 4-6, 6-2.
Sonal Phadke beat fifth seed Eettee Mehta 6-1, 6-2 and seventh seed Simran Sethi overpowered Bhuvana Kalva 7-5, 6-3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video