Raonic tames Almagro to breeze into Chennai Open final
Chennai: The big-serving Canadian youngster Milos Raonic reached his third ATP Tour final after a 6-4 6-4 thrashing of world number 10 Nicolas Almagro in the Chennai Open semifinals, on Saturday.
Ranked 31, Raonic took 72 minutes to dispatch his Spanish rival and earn a shot at his second ATP title, having won one in 2011 at San Jose.
He now awaits the winner of the other semifinal between Serbian top seed Janko Tipsarevic and Japanese qualifier Go Soeda for tomorrow`s final.
Raonic, who had played in three matches in Chennai Open this year had not dropped a set so far and is making his third career final of which he has won the title in San Jose.
The 6`5 Canadian fired 17 aces out of which the last three came when he served for the match.
Two of his three aces in the final game touched 212 Kmph, which was too hot to handle for Almagro.
"Nothing went wrong for me. Raonic is one of the best on the Tour, particularly on hard courts. He created many chances for himself to win the match, particularly his first serve successes," Almagro said after the match.
Raonic and Almagro were meeting for the first time in singles semi-final on the tour.
Raonic started the 2011 season here as a qualifier as world ranked 156 and made his exit losing to Frenchman Edouard Roger-Vasselin.
However, he went on to upset many higher ranked players on the circuit tour to reach a career-high rank of 25 and later end the season at 31.
Raonic`s game plan was clear -- to use his most potent weapon, the fierce serve and he did that quite impressively.
He broke Amlagro in the seventh and ninth games of the two sets to clinch the issue.
Almagro did counter with an attacking game but Raonic was just unstoppable.
Almagro`s deep returns in the second set were spot on as he was up for fight but it was Raonic`s day out.
lmagro saved the first of the two breakpoints in the ninth game but could not save the second one and Raonic served out the match in the next game without any fuss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'