Rastogi, Bhambri in quarter-finals
Mumbai: Top seed Karan Rastogi and sixth seed Yuki Bhambri registered comfortable second round wins to ease into the quarter-finals of the CCI-ITF USD 15,000 Men`s Futures Tennis Tournament at the Cricket Club of India.
Rastogi, ranked 284 in the ATP rankings, kicked off a rewarding day for the favourites when he beat unseeded Nicolas Reissig of Austria 6-1, 6-2 to set up a mouth-watering last eight clash with Bhambri, who overcame compatriot Rupesh Roy 6-3, 6-4.
Unseeded Rohan Gajjar of India, who caused the first upset in the competition yesterday when he stunned fifth seed Gerald Melzer of Austria in the first round, rolled on as he beat compatriot and qualifier Divij Sharan 6-4, 6-4, while third seed Indian Vishnu Vardhan got past James Feaver of Great Britain 6-3, 6-4.
Fourth seed Gero Kretschmer of Germany joined the Indians in the quarter-finals after unseeded Ashutosh Singh of India retired midway through the third set while trailing 0-3 following stomach cramps. Singh won the opening set 7-5 before Kretschmer snatched the second at 6-4.
Among the Indians to lose in the second round was Sunil Kumar Sipaeya who went down to seventh seed Roko Karanustic of Croatia 1-6, 5-7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened