Rastogi, Bhambri in quarter-finals
Mumbai: Top seed Karan Rastogi and sixth seed Yuki Bhambri registered comfortable second round wins to ease into the quarter-finals of the CCI-ITF USD 15,000 Men`s Futures Tennis Tournament at the Cricket Club of India.
Rastogi, ranked 284 in the ATP rankings, kicked off a rewarding day for the favourites when he beat unseeded Nicolas Reissig of Austria 6-1, 6-2 to set up a mouth-watering last eight clash with Bhambri, who overcame compatriot Rupesh Roy 6-3, 6-4.
Unseeded Rohan Gajjar of India, who caused the first upset in the competition yesterday when he stunned fifth seed Gerald Melzer of Austria in the first round, rolled on as he beat compatriot and qualifier Divij Sharan 6-4, 6-4, while third seed Indian Vishnu Vardhan got past James Feaver of Great Britain 6-3, 6-4.
Fourth seed Gero Kretschmer of Germany joined the Indians in the quarter-finals after unseeded Ashutosh Singh of India retired midway through the third set while trailing 0-3 following stomach cramps. Singh won the opening set 7-5 before Kretschmer snatched the second at 6-4.
Among the Indians to lose in the second round was Sunil Kumar Sipaeya who went down to seventh seed Roko Karanustic of Croatia 1-6, 5-7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister