Rio confirmed on 2014 ATP tour
Rio de Janeiro: Rio de Janeiro will host a World Tour 500 tennis event next year, ATP officials confirmed.
The tournament, to be held February 17-23, will be part of a four-week clay court programme beginning in Chile`s Vina del Mar before moving to Buenos Aires, Rio and Sao Paulo.
Rio`s inclusion in the ATP World Tour calendar comes at the cost of the ATP 500 event in Acapulco, Mexico, which has been downgraded to a 250 event and changed from clay to hard court, coinciding with North America`s March hard-court season.
"The four-week South American swing including a new event in Rio de Janeiro is an exciting development for the sport," ATP president Brad Drewett said.
"There are significant opportunities for growth in South America, a region that has become a key focus for us as we look to grow and develop the sport in that territory."
Other changes to the 2014 ATP schedule include a week`s break between the Paris Masters and season-ending ATP finals Nov 16.
The program comprises 61 tournaments in 31 countries and six continents in addition to the Davis Cup and four Grand Slams organised by the International Tennis Federation (ITF).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister