Rio confirmed on 2014 ATP tour
Rio de Janeiro: Rio de Janeiro will host a World Tour 500 tennis event next year, ATP officials confirmed.
The tournament, to be held February 17-23, will be part of a four-week clay court programme beginning in Chile`s Vina del Mar before moving to Buenos Aires, Rio and Sao Paulo.
Rio`s inclusion in the ATP World Tour calendar comes at the cost of the ATP 500 event in Acapulco, Mexico, which has been downgraded to a 250 event and changed from clay to hard court, coinciding with North America`s March hard-court season.
"The four-week South American swing including a new event in Rio de Janeiro is an exciting development for the sport," ATP president Brad Drewett said.
"There are significant opportunities for growth in South America, a region that has become a key focus for us as we look to grow and develop the sport in that territory."
Other changes to the 2014 ATP schedule include a week`s break between the Paris Masters and season-ending ATP finals Nov 16.
The program comprises 61 tournaments in 31 countries and six continents in addition to the Davis Cup and four Grand Slams organised by the International Tennis Federation (ITF).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand