Rising Australian talent Nick Kyrgios splits with coach Rea
Sydney: Rising talent Nick Kyrgios has confirmed his split with coach Simon Rea to spend more time at his Canberra home, the Australian teenager said on Saturday.
The 19-year-old, who took Wimbledon by storm by beating then-world number one Rafa Nadal on the way to the quarter-finals, had worked with New Zealander Rea since winning the 2013 Australian Open junior singles title.
Governing body Tennis Australia will continue to have a heavy influence over the prodigy`s development, with Davis Cup coach Josh Eagle and Canberra-based academy coach Todd Larkham taking over in a tandem arrangement.
"My desire to be at home more in Canberra, when I am not at tournaments has driven me to make the decision for change within my team," the world number 66 Kyrgios said in a statement.
"Not only is Simon a great coach but he is a great person and I wish him all the best in the next phase of his coaching career."
Kyrgios plays his next tournament at the ATP 1000 in Toronto next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal