Robredo fells Isner as Spain whitewash US
Perth: Tommy Robredo proved size is not everything in tennis, cutting towering American John Isner down to size to give Spain victory in their opening Hopman Cup encounter on Sunday.
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez put the two-times champions ahead with a 6-4 6-4 win over teenager Melanie Oudin, and Robredo beat the 6-foot-9 (2.06m) Isner 6-7 6-3 7-6.
The Spaniards then teamed up to win the mixed doubles 6-4 7-5 to complete a 3-0 whitewash.
Isner smashed down 16 aces but Robredo’s greater all-round ability eventually proved the difference between the two.
The Spaniard broke once in the second set to level the match but the decider was nip and tuck until the tiebreak, which Robredo pinched 7-5.
“It’s a bit like the casino, red or black,” Robredo said, when asked to describe what it is like to face the Isner serve.
“If it’s red it’s the forehand, if it’s black it’s the backhand, so I am very proud the way I returned.”
Experience and variety were the key factors as Martinez Sanchez saw off 18-year-old Oudin, a quarter-finalist at the US Open in September.
A Little Ragged
Oudin was guilty of making too many mistakes on her forehand and Martinez Sanchez took full advantage.
The left-hander used her serve to great effect and mixed serve and volley with some deft touch to leave Oudin looking a little ragged.
Martinez Sanchez did not face a break point until she served for the match at 5-2, when Oudin suddenly lifted her game to break back.
After holding serve, she then had a chance to break back for 5-5 but Martinez Sanchez held on and sealed victory with a volley at full stretch.
“At the beginning of the season it’s difficult to play matches and I was winning 5-2 and you have some doubts,” Martinez Sanchez said. “But at the end I played aggressive and I could win.”
Martinez Sanchez’s performance was even more impressive given the fact she woke up on Sunday feeling ill.
“This morning I was not OK and I threw up, but now I am much better,” she said.
Oudin said the Americans would give it everything when they played Australia in their next group match on Tuesday.
“We were both a bit down after the singles,” she said. “But it was really fun and it’s alright. We’ll bounce back.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened