Roger Federer beaten by world number 114 in Hamburg
Hamburg: Roger Federer was stunned by Argentine qualifier Federico Delbonis, the world number 114, in the Hamburg claycourt semi-finals on Saturday as the 17-time Grand Slam title winner suffered another worrying loss.
The former world number one went down 7-6 (9/7), 7-6 (7/4) to the 22-year-old Delbonis with the defeat coming just a month after Federer was knocked out of Wimbledon by Ukraine`s world number 116 Sergiy Stakhovsky in the second round.
Delbonis will play Fabio Fognini in Sunday`s final after the Italian 12th seed reached his second successive final by beating Spain`s Nicolas Almagro 6-4, 7-6 (7/1).
"I feel like I`m dreaming," said Delbonis.
"My key was to enjoy the match and enjoy playing this kind of player, because he`s the best of all time."
Saturday`s defeat will put the 31-year-old Federer under more pressure to justify that he can still be a major force in the sport.
He came into Hamburg, where he had triumphed four times, ranked at five in the world -- his lowest position since 2003 -- after his Wimbledon humiliation brought to an end a run of 36 consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final appearances.
Debuting a larger racquet frame this week, Federer had twice been pushed to three sets on his way to the semi-finals of the Hamburg claycourt event.
The Swiss squandered an early break lead against Delbonis and saved two set points in the 12th game to force a tie-break.
He was unable to convert his only set point at 6-5 and Delbonis took his fourth opportunity with a smash.
Federer was put under pressure early in the second set by the left-handed Delbonis, saving three break points in his opening service game and another in the sixth.
The Swiss had one chance to break Delbonis in the seventh game as the Argentine`s composure slipped slightly and he let in costly unforced errors.
Federer was denied as Delbonis closed down the net, though, and again came out on the wrong side in the tie-break. Successive groundstroke errors from Federer at 4-4 gave Delbonis two match points and he converted his first as Federer netted a forehand.
Meanwhile, Fognini will be attempting to win his second title in as many weeks after claiming his first tour trophy last week at Stuttgart.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27