Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic favourites to win US Open
Zee Media Bureau/Rajdeep Saha
New Delhi: With the US Open title holder, Rafael Nadal, pulling out of the final Grand Slam of the year owing to a wrist injury, the onus shifts on Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic to bid for glory at Flushing Meadows.
The exit of Nadal presents another sad picture of the Spaniard, who misses out yet again on a major tournament due to injury.
Nadal missed out on most part of 2013 with a serious knee injury before coming back and winning titles including the US Open. Nadal exceeded almost everyone’s expectations in 2013. He carried the same form into 2014. The 14-time Grand Slam winner was the runners-up at Australian open this year, and then emerged as a champion again at Roland Garros.
But injury has been a major worry for the current World No. 2. He hasn’t competed since losing in the fourth round of Wimbledon to 19-year-old Nick Kyrgios in four sets on July 1. He missed the Rogers Cup and Cincinnati Masters in build up to the US Open and his exit now gives a massive chance to his rivals.
Federer, who lost to Djokovic at the Wimbledon final last month, is still searching for a Grand Slam title since 2012. He had a year to forget last term, but 2014 has been a good season for the Swiss legend. Federer booked a place at the ATP World Tour Finals for a record successive 13th time, after bagging the Cincinnati Masters title on Monday. The 17-time Grand Slam winner, looked at his best on grass and here at the hard courts too, he will hope to make it big.
Like Federer, Novak Djokovic is a name that will be doing the rounds now after Nadal`s exit. The Djoker was the runners-up in last year`s US Open edition after losing to Nadal, but this term he will hope to address it perfectly with a win. The Serb was a treat to watch at the Wimbledon, after he trumped Federer for the title, and here too, he will have to overcome the likes of Federer and the other big players to seal the honour.
The US Open starts on August 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price