Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic meet in Dubai semi-finals
Dubai: Five-times champion Roger Federer brushed aside Lukas Rosol on Thursday to set up a mouthwatering semi-final clash with Novak Djokovic in the Dubai Championship.
Federer eased through 6-2 6-2 while holder Djokovic enjoyed a walkover when quarter-final opponent Mikhail Youzhny withdrew through illness.
Third seed Tomas Berdych, who finished runner-up to Djokovic in 2013, faces seventh seed Philipp Kohlschreiber in the other semi-final.
Berdych overcame fifth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-4 6-3 while Kohlschreiber beat Tunisian wildcard Malek Jaziri 6-2 6-3.
Federer holds a 16-15 lead in head-to-head matches with Djokovic but the Serb has won their last three meetings, including their most recent match at the ATP World Tour Finals in London in November.
"We know each other very well, and we`ve played each other everywhere and all the surfaces, you name it," Federer told atpworldtour.com.
"I think we always play the match-up actually very good, because we play explosive, aggressive tennis, so there is always some shot-making going on.
"I`m looking forward to the match. One match, best of three sets on a court like this, it`s a bit of ‘let`s see what happens`, anyway. We both know that."
Federer started slowly against Rosol, the man who knocked Rafa Nadal out of the second round at Wimbledon in 2012, losing his opening service game for an early 0-2 deficit.
Any hopes of the Czech pulling off another huge shock were short-lived with the Swiss reeling off the next six games.
The second set started where the first ended with Federer breaking Rosol twice in his opening three service games as the 32-year-old comfortably reached his third semi-final in his three tournaments so far this season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city