Roger Federer pulls out of Montreal Masters
Paris: Roger Federer`s faltering season suffered another twist on Friday when the former world number one pulled out of next week`s Montreal Masters, a key warm-up for the US Open.
Federer, who is currently at five in the world, his lowest ranking for a decade, gave no reason for his withdrawal.
"I am disappointed not to be playing in Montreal next week. It is a great tournament with amazing fans. I look forward to competing there in the future," he wrote on his Facebook page.
The 17-time Grand Slam title winner was beaten in the first round at Gstaad last week by Germany`s Daniel Brands and admitted he had been suffering from back pain.
"I`ve had serious problems with the back, I had to get some anti-inflammatories last week in Hamburg due to the pain," he said after his loss in Switzerland.
His defeat to Brands was his third of the summer against an opponent ranked outside the top 50.
He was beaten in the Wimbledon second round by Sergiy Stakhovsky and then lost in the Hamburg semi-finals to Argentine qualifier Federico Delbonis.
Federer has won only the Halle title this season after claiming his 17th Grand Slam title at Wimbledon in 2012.
His defeat to Ukraine`s world number 116 Stakhovsky in the second round at Wimbledon brought to an end a run of 36 consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final appearances.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'