Roger Federer says no debate over Novak Djokovic being `real` No.1
Sydney: Tennis ace Roger Federer has no qualms in admitting that Novak Djokovic deserves to finish 2012 as the world`s top-ranked player.
Federer replaced Djokovic at the top of the standings after winning Wimbledon in July earlier this year, but has now ceded the position to the Serb after he was forced to pull out of the Paris Masters due to an injury.
The Swiss tennis star said there should be no doubt about Djokovic being the ‘real no. 1’.
“We know who the real number one is. It is going to be Novak. I do not think there should be any debate around about that,” a website quoted Federer, as saying.
"You do not get to number one by chance. The rankings are something that shows how you have played over a 365-day period. It might all change again in two months at the Australian Open but right now it is clear,” he added.
Federer said though he had to let go of his top spot this year, he would make sure that he doesn’t have to do such a ‘sacrifice’ again.
"I obviously gave it everything I had. I`ve played so much tennis the last one and a half, two years and I`m happy I got back to world number one,” he said.
"This is a full-on process. That obviously takes a lot of sacrifice. For the time being I`m willing to do all of that. So I`m putting my schedule into place for next year and there are no extraordinary changes,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!