Roger Federer seals ATP World Tour finals spot
Paris: Former world number one Roger Federer booked his place for the ATP World Tour finals when he dismissed South African Kevin Anderson 6-4, 6-4 to reach the third round of the Paris Masters on Wednesday.
The Swiss, who started the week in seventh place in the ATP Race to London, made sure of finishing in the top nine - the cut required after British world number four Andy Murray pulled out because of back surgery.
It is the 12th consecutive time Federer has qualified for the event and equals Ivan Lendl`s record for the most successive appearances at the season-ending event.
Two places are still available for next week`s showdown in London and Federer`s compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka stayed on course to snatch one of them by advancing in Paris at the expense of Spaniard Feliciano Lopez, whom he beat 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
Wawrinka and France`s Richard Gasquet will claim the two spots if Canadian Milos Raonic, the third and last candidate, loses to Dutchman Robin Haase later on Wednesday.
Seventh seed Wawrinka hoping to qualify for the finals for the first time, started the week in eighth place.
Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic, David Ferrer, Juan Martin del Potro and Tomas Berdych have already qualified.
Wawrinka`s victory means Spaniard Nicolas Almagro is ruled out of the race. German Tommy Haas, who was beaten 6-2, 6-2 by fellow German Philipp Kohlschreiber, also dropped out.
Federer barely broke sweat to knock out Anderson.
He broke his opponent`s serve in the first game and never looked back. Anderson`s series of unforced errors made sure there would be no contest at Bercy, even though the world number 21 rallied from 4-1 down in the second set.
World number one Nadal saw off fellow Spaniard Marcel Granollers 7-5, 7-5 to advance into the third round as he aims to bag one of the three Masters titles he has never won.
Nadal was never really troubled by Granollers and broke decisively in the 11th game of each set to tee up a meeting with last year`s runner-up Jerzy Janowicz of Poland, the 14th seed.
"All opponents are good here. There is no easy opponent on a surface like this one, in a tough tournament like this one," the eight-time French Open champion told a news conference.
"But hopefully for my opponents I`m not going to be good news, either."
Wawrinka was pushed harder but the Swiss served 19 aces against Lopez and prevailed in under two hours, recovering quickly after a dip in concentration cost the 28-year-old the second set.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22