Roger Federer suffers shock defeat against Hewitt
Halle: Roger Federer suffered a shock defeat by Lleyton Hewitt in the final of the Halle grasscourt event, losing 3-6, 7-6, 6-4 to the Australian.
The result was totally unexpected since six-times Wimbledon champion Federer had not lost a match at Halle since 2002, winning the title five times, and had beaten Hewitt in their last 15 showdowns.
Hewitt, a former Wimbledon champion himself, ended the two hour 20 minute contest when his forehand hit the net tape and dropped dead on Federer`s side.
Before Sunday, Federer had been defeated on grass just once since 2003, that coming in the 2008 Wimbledon final against Rafael Nadal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players