Roger Federer to start 2014 season in Brisbane
Sydney: Roger Federer will start his 2014 campaign at the Brisbane International next January, underlining the tournament`s status as the biggest of the Australian Open warm-ups.
The 31-year-old Swiss, who has four Melbourne Park titles among his 17 grand slams, has never previously started the year in Brisbane and the announcement was billed as the "biggest ... in the history" of the event, which started in 2009.
Federer previously warmed up for the year`s first grand slam at the now ailing Kooyong exhibition tournament and more recently in Doha, Qatar.
"I`ve always hoped that I could come there," Federer was quoted as saying in a media release.
"I`m not just coming for the Australian Open, especially when I commit so early in advance, it`s also to win in Brisbane."
Wimbledon champion Andy Murray has won the men`s event at the Pat Rafter Arena for the last two years, while Serena Williams won the women`s title last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes