Roger Federer waits on final racquet decision
Gstaad (Switzerland): Roger Federer said on Monday that he will spend this week at the Swiss Open testing his new larger racquet and will make a decision later on whether to use it in the run-up to the US Open and beyond.
The top seed, who is playing the ATP 250 clay event at altitude for the first time since he won it in 2004, will Thursday play his opening match after a bye against either German Daniel Brands or longtime friend Marco Chiudinelli.
Federer began testing a larger 98-square-inch racquet last week in Hamburg, reaching the semi-finals before losing to number 114 Argentine qualifier Federico Delbonis.
He said he needs more time and matches to make a final decision on the prototype model.
"So far, I`m happy with this change," said the 17-time grand slam champion, "But I need many hours on the court to see if this is a good decision.
"I haven`t yet taken the decision on whether to use it in the US (he begins his pre-US Open campaign in a fortnight at the Montreal Masters). I still need to think it over.”
"There are players who have experienced" problems when they changed racquets, Fernando Verdasco and to some extent Novak Djokovic."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!