Royal Indian Open WTA Challenger: Indian players fail to rise to the occasion
Pune: After the high Rutuja Bhosale winning her first round encounter and Prarthana Thombare pushing her higher ranked opponent, Indian players failed to create any magic on the second day of the $125,000 Sanjay Kakade Group Royal Indian Open WTA Challenger event, organized by Netsurf Entertainment, on Tuesday.
National champion Prerna Bhambri seemed overwhelmed by the occasion and succumbed 6-0, 6-2 against second seed Misaki Doi of China while qualifier Nidhi Chilumula was hammered 6-2, 6-1 by Turkey’s Cagla Buyukakcay at the Shiv Chattrapati Sports Complex, Balewadi.
Though not many expected the Indian players to create upsets, it was the manner of the defeat that must have hurt even the players.
Bhambri, who was given a wild card in the tournament, could not settle down throughout the first set and Doi simply breezed through the set. The New Delhi girl did improve her performance in the second set as she held serve in the first and third game before regular service was restored and the Chinese second seed took little time in closing out the match.
In the day’s other match, Nidhi Chilumula fared a bit better and had a couple of chances to break her opponent’s serve, which she could not grab.
However, it was her own serve that deserted the Indian on crucial junctures and the five double faults in seven service games did not help matters.
Even Rishika Sunkara could not raise the bar against veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm of Japan and went down 6-0, 6-3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared