Sabine Lisicki says ready to face Serena in Brisbane International
Sydney: German tennis ace Sabine Lisicki has said that she does not fear anyone as she prepared for her upcoming rematch with women`s world number one Serena Williams in the Australian Open warm-up - the Brisbane International, starting this weekend.
Lisicki is best remembered this year for toppling red-hot favourite Williams before suffering her Wimbledon final loss to French veteran Marion Bartoli, and she announced herself as a force to be reckoned with after becoming the first German to reach the Wimbledon final since 22-time grand slam winner Steffi Graf in 1999.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Lisicki`s yardstick looks set to provide ample motivation for the Australian Open after her Wimbledon choke, with the tennis player saying that she is a much stronger person on the court now and does not fear anyone after becoming only one of a handful of players to down Williams in 2013.
Stating that her Wimbledon achievement was a learning experience and close to realising a dream, Lisicki further said that although she respects other players, but as soon as she is on the court, she wants to win no matter whoever is on the other side.
Although Lisicki admitted that she still has to play her best tennis to beat the 17-time Grand Slam champion, it gave her a lot of confidence to beat Williams, especially at Wimbledon, where she was the favourite, adding that a player lives for such moments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees