Sanam, Prajnesh enter ATP Challenger main draw
Chennai: India`s Sanam Singh stunned second-seeded Marek Semjan 6-2, 6-2 while Prajnesh Gunneswaran dispatched compatriot Sasi Kumar Mukund to book their places in the main draw of the Shriram Capital P L Reddy Memorial USD 50,000 ATP Challenger tennis tournament here on Monday.
Fifth seed Sanam stroked and served crisply throughout the match keeping up constant pressure against a tiring opponent and sealed the contest without breaking much sweat.
In a match between two local players, Prajnesh`s experience held him in good stead as he put off a strong challenge from a smooth stroking young Sasi Kumar, winning the first set in a tie break and then breaking Mukund twice in the second to win 7-6(4), 6-3.
In another encounter, third seed Russian Victor Baluda, made a late charge in a hard-fought game against German Richard Becker 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(4) to make it to the main draw while fourth seed Michael Venus thrashed Karunuday Singh 6-2, 6-1 to also book a berth in the main draw.
In the only singles main draw match of the day, Jordi Samper-Montana of Spain got past compatriot Adrian Menendes-Maceiras 6-4, 7-6 in a well-contested match, which lasted two hours.
Both players displayed strong ground strokes and ability to maintain rallies. Montana served and returned at crucial points, in particular, in the long second set tiebreak which he won 11-9.
In the main draw doubles match, wild card pair of Prajnesh Gunneswaran and Mohit Mayur went down to Thomas Fabbiano and Agustin Velotti 2-6, 6-2, 10-5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16