Sanam puts up brave fight against Davydenko
Kuala Lumpur: Young Indian Davis Cupper Sanam Singh put up a valiant fight against former world number three Nikolay Davydenko before losing in straight sets to the Russian in the opening round of the Malaysian Open, here.
Sanam, who had entered the singles main draw as Lucky Loser, lost the match 5-7 4-6 but not before giving a good fight to current world number 44 player.
Sanam, ranked 373, battled it out for one hour and 43 minutes and succeeded in breaking the serve of his superior rival thrice in the match.
He broke Davydenko twice in the opening set but lost his own thrice as the two players struggled to hold.
In the second set, Sanam saved five breakpoints but succumbed on two other occasions as the Russian survived a scare before moving to the next stage.
Sanam had lost in the final round of the qualifiers but made it to the main draw as lucky loser.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials