Sanam puts up brave fight against Davydenko
Kuala Lumpur: Young Indian Davis Cupper Sanam Singh put up a valiant fight against former world number three Nikolay Davydenko before losing in straight sets to the Russian in the opening round of the Malaysian Open, here.
Sanam, who had entered the singles main draw as Lucky Loser, lost the match 5-7 4-6 but not before giving a good fight to current world number 44 player.
Sanam, ranked 373, battled it out for one hour and 43 minutes and succeeded in breaking the serve of his superior rival thrice in the match.
He broke Davydenko twice in the opening set but lost his own thrice as the two players struggled to hold.
In the second set, Sanam saved five breakpoints but succumbed on two other occasions as the Russian survived a scare before moving to the next stage.
Sanam had lost in the final round of the qualifiers but made it to the main draw as lucky loser.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!