Sanam puts up brave fight against Davydenko
Kuala Lumpur: Young Indian Davis Cupper Sanam Singh put up a valiant fight against former world number three Nikolay Davydenko before losing in straight sets to the Russian in the opening round of the Malaysian Open, here.
Sanam, who had entered the singles main draw as Lucky Loser, lost the match 5-7 4-6 but not before giving a good fight to current world number 44 player.
Sanam, ranked 373, battled it out for one hour and 43 minutes and succeeded in breaking the serve of his superior rival thrice in the match.
He broke Davydenko twice in the opening set but lost his own thrice as the two players struggled to hold.
In the second set, Sanam saved five breakpoints but succumbed on two other occasions as the Russian survived a scare before moving to the next stage.
Sanam had lost in the final round of the qualifiers but made it to the main draw as lucky loser.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic