Sanchana registers upset win over Nidhi in ITF Women`s tennis
Chennai: Local girl Sanchana Paul created an upset when she knocked out third seed Nidhi Chilumula in the first round matches of the Chennai ITF Women`s Futures Tennis championships at the Madras Gymkhana club courts, here on Monday.
Nidhi started in roaring form to swamp a sluggish Sanchana 6-2 in the first set but could not keep up the momentum in the second set where Sanchana overwhelmed her 6-0.
In the decider, Sanchana broke Nidhi in the very first game and led 3-2. Nidhi broke her opponent and levelled the score three-all but Sanchana maintained her composure to break her serve in the crucial ninth game and win the match 6-4 with a glorious winner on her first match point.
Results: Sansitha Nandakumar (Ind) beat Zainab Ali Sajjad (Ind) 6-3,6-3.
Prarthana G Thombare (Ind)  beat Victoria Chehal (Ind) 6-0,6-1.
Anjana Kompally (Ind) beat Nithya Raj Babu Raj (Ind) 6-3,7-5.
Eetee Maheta (Ind)  beat Neharika Rama (Ind) 2-6, 6-0, 6-4.
Sharon Sanchana Paul (Ind) beat Nidhi Chilumula (Ind)  2-6,6-0,6-4.
Natasha Palha (Ind)  beat Sai Samhitha Chamarthi (Ind) 6-2,7-5.
Doubles first round matches:
Varunya Chandrashekar (Ind)/Smriti Joon (Ind) beat Mahitha Dadi Reddy(Ind)/Likitha Shetty (Ind) 2-6,6-4,10-8.
Nandini Gupta (Ind)/Neharika Rama (Ind) beat Disha Satish Agarwal (Ind)/Nupur Umashankar (Ind) W.O.
Victoria Chehal (Ind)/Ann-Christin Nilsson (Ger) beat Nithya Raj Babu Raj (Ind)/Sarah Pang (Sin) 6-1 6-4.
Kyra Shroff (Ind)/Angelique Svinos (Aus) Beat Barbara Bonic (Srb)/Xi-Yao Wang (Chn) 6-4 1-6 12-10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- International Weightlifting federation names 15 re-test doping failures
- Football Tourism: PSG will receive $197 million to promote tourism in Qatar
- Nitin Gadkari appointed as BJP election in-charge for Goa Assembly polls
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday
- Cabinet raises compensation for terror, blast victims