Sania-Bethanie enter semis of Stuttgart WTA event
Stuttgart: Sania Mirza and Bethanie Mattek-Sands defeated Liezel Huber and Janette Husarova to enter the women`s doubles semifinal at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix here.
The Indo-American pair got past the American-Slovak combination 7-5, 6-4 in the quarterfinals played Friday.
Sania-Bethanie next play Germany`s Angelique Kerber and Andrea Petkovic Saturday night.
Bethanie is also enjoying a great run in the singles event where she faces Li Na of China in the semifinals. The American defeated local hope Sabine Lisicki 6-4, 6-2 in the quarterfinals.
"I played Sabine last year at the French Open and she`s been playing well again this year," Mattek-Sands was quoted as saying by WTA website. "She`s had some good results and has a lot of confidence. I knew I had to play well.
"I had some good support out there from the crowd, even though I was playing a German girl - and I`m looking forward to the same tomorrow. To be in the semis after coming back from match point down in the qualifying is a pretty good feeling, and obviously beating Sara yesterday was a great win for me.
"This has definitely been one of the best weeks of my career."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents