Sania, Bethanie in quarters of Rome WTA event
Rome: Sania Mirza and her American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands scored a straight set win over Francesca Schiavone and Samantha Stosur to move to the quarterfinals of the WTA Premier event, here.
The sixth seeded Indo-American pair registered a 6-4 6-3 win over the Italian-Australian combination in one hour and 13 minutes in the second round of the prestigious clay court tournament.
There was little to separate the two teams as the winners scored a total of 59 points while Samantha and Francesca scored 47.
Both the teams had many a break chances but did not convert many. While Sania and Bethanie converted five of 12 chances, their rivals could cash in on just three off 11.
Sania and Bethanie now have a tough task at hand as they face top seeds and local favourites Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the USD 2,369,000 event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured