Sania, Bethanie in quarters of Rome WTA event
Rome: Sania Mirza and her American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands scored a straight set win over Francesca Schiavone and Samantha Stosur to move to the quarterfinals of the WTA Premier event, here.
The sixth seeded Indo-American pair registered a 6-4 6-3 win over the Italian-Australian combination in one hour and 13 minutes in the second round of the prestigious clay court tournament.
There was little to separate the two teams as the winners scored a total of 59 points while Samantha and Francesca scored 47.
Both the teams had many a break chances but did not convert many. While Sania and Bethanie converted five of 12 chances, their rivals could cash in on just three off 11.
Sania and Bethanie now have a tough task at hand as they face top seeds and local favourites Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the USD 2,369,000 event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre