Sania, Bethanie in quarters of Rome WTA event
Rome: Sania Mirza and her American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands scored a straight set win over Francesca Schiavone and Samantha Stosur to move to the quarterfinals of the WTA Premier event, here.
The sixth seeded Indo-American pair registered a 6-4 6-3 win over the Italian-Australian combination in one hour and 13 minutes in the second round of the prestigious clay court tournament.
There was little to separate the two teams as the winners scored a total of 59 points while Samantha and Francesca scored 47.
Both the teams had many a break chances but did not convert many. While Sania and Bethanie converted five of 12 chances, their rivals could cash in on just three off 11.
Sania and Bethanie now have a tough task at hand as they face top seeds and local favourites Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the USD 2,369,000 event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed