Sania-Bethanie lose in quarters of Miami Masters
Miami: India`s Sania Mirza and her American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands crashed out of the Miami Masters on Wednesday, after losing their women`s doubles quarter-final match against world No.1 pair of Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in straight sets at Crandon Park, Miami.
The seventh seeded Indo-American pair lost 1-6, 4-6 in just 66 minutes, losing serve three times in each set.
Sania and Bethanie started the proceedings on an attacking note, breaking the serve of their opponents but, the Italian pair of Errani and Vinci restored parity by breaking in the next game.
The top seeds Italian pair did not give Sania and Bethanie any more leeway to make a comeback into the match as they produced a dominant show to race through the set in just 24 minutes.
In the second set, the Indo-American duo took the first game at love but the top seeds put on display their vast repertoire of stroke-play to make a strong comeback.
The third game saw Sania-Bethanie saving three break points from 15-40 to surge ahead and then went on to win the next game to swell their lead to 3-1.
However, their joy remained short-lived as the Italian duo of Errani and Vinci broke their opponents` serve to reduce the gap to 2-3.
Sania-Bethanie again made headway by breaking their opponents in the sixth game to take a 4-2 lead.
But, that was the last time luck smiled upon the Indo-American pair as Errani and Vinci won the next four games to book their berth semi-final berth in the championship.
They will meet the pair of Lisa Raymond and Laura Robson in the last-four.
Sania and Bethanie had defeated the pair of Jarmila Gajdosova and Sabine Lisicki in the second round on Tuesday, to make the quarters of the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi