Sania-Cara lose in BNP Paribas final
Indian Wells: Sania Mirza and her Zimbabwean partner Cara Black lost to top seeds Hsieh Su-Wei of Taiwan and Peng Shuai of China in straight sets in the women`s doubles final of the BNP Paribas Open, a Premier WTA tournament, here on Sunday.
The top seeds prevailed over the fifth seeded Indo-Zimbabwean combo 7-6(5) 6-2 in a contest that lasted an hour and 30 minutes, as they improved their perfect record in the WTA doubles finals to an 11-0 mark.
Sania and Cara started well, racing to a 4-2 lead in the first set and had a set point while serving at 6-5, but Hsieh and Peng fought back strongly to take the opening frame to a tie-breaker.
The number one team finally managed to win the set after nearly an hour`s play. "First set we were down when we started. It`s really windy, and (they`re also a) really good doubles team. Black has a lot of experience for the doubles and gave us like a lot pressure. Really happy to win again," said Peng.`
In the second set, Hsieh and Peng hardly spared an inch to Sania and Cara, wrapping it up rather comfortably in the end.
Sania had once won the BNP Paribas Open women`s double title with partner Elena Vesnina in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials
- 30% to vote for SP, BJP+ 27%, BSP 26% in next UP Assembly elections: Survey
- Article 370 will be dealt later, peace in Valley a priority: Ahir
- Banwarilal Purohit sworn in as Assam Governor