Sania-Cara pair moves to quarterfinals of Madrid Open
Madrid: Fifth seeds Sania Mirza and Cara Black had little problem in dispatching Hao-Ching Chan and Chanelle Scheepers as they scored a comfortable straight sets victory to progress to the quarterfinals of the Madrid Open, here on Wednesday.
The Indo-Zimbabwean team defeated the Taipei-Protea pair 6-4 6-1 in little over an hour in the second round contest of the euro 3,671,405 clay court tournament.
Sania and Cara, winner of the Portugal Open last week, raced to 4-1 lead but Chan and Scheepers reduced the margin to make it 3-4.
However, the Taeipei-Chinese pair could not sustain the momentum as Sania and Cara proved too good for them.
Sania and Cara will now fight it with either wild card entrants Italian Francesca Schiavone and her Spanish partner Silvia Soler-Espinosa or the top seeds Su-Wei Hsieh from Taipei and Shuai Peng of China.
Sania and Cara have moved to third place in the Race to Singapore, where the year-end finals will be played in November.
World number one team Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci are heading the table with 3430 points, followed by Elena Vesnina and Ekaternia Makarova (2266) and Sania and Cara (2247).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- US, UN condemn Syria hospital bombing in war-ravaged Aleppo
- F-16 to boost precision strike capability in anti-terror operations: Pakistan
- UN Security Council readies North Korea missile test reply
- US Vice President Joe Biden on surprise visit to Iraq
- Panama papers scandal: Russia to join global fight against tax evasion