Sania crashes out of Tashkent Open
Tashkent: Sania Mirza`s miserable singles
form continued as she crashed out of the Tashkent Open with an
opening-round loss to Russian Ekaterina Bychkova here on Tuesday.
She won a doubles` title at the China Open last week, but
there was no end to Sania`s poor singles run as the 125th
ranked Indian went down 1-6, 6-4, 5-7 to the Russian, ranked 175
in the world, in a little over two hours.
Watched by her husband, Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik,
Sania looked rusty in the first set going down tamely in less
than 30 minutes and was broken in the third, fifth and seventh
In the second set, Sania found her rhythm to take the set
after being down 2-4 and securing breaks in the seventh and
ninth games after Bychkova committed five double faults.
The Indian raced to a 5-2 lead in the decider but
Bychkova clawed back breaking her in the eight, 10th and the
Sania had two match points in the 11th game, but Bychkova
hit an ace to get back into the match.
In the 12th game, Sania had an opportunity to level
scores and force a tie-break but she double faulted twice and
that sealed her fate.
Sania, who is partnering Marai Elena Camerin of Italy,
will start her doubles campaign in the tournament tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists