Sania joins ITPA as Vice President
New Delhi: Star player Sania Mirza has also joined Indian Tennis Players Association (ITPA) as one of its Vice Presidents, it was revealed on Sunday.
Sania is now one of the four Vice Presidents of the newly-formed body with Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi and Somdev Devvarman being the other VPs.
"Happy to announce that @MirzaSania has consented to be a VP of @TennisITPA and she has been co opted unanimously. Welcome aboard #Sania," Karti P Chidambaram, who is secretary of ITPA and also AITA Vice President, tweeted.
The Association was formed recently and office bearers were announced during India`s Davis Cup tie against Indonesia in Bangalore.
Former Davis Cup captain Jaideep Mukherjea was elected as President of the Association.
Sania, the first female player from the country to win a Grand Slam, now plays only in doubles.
She gave up her singles career due to injuries so that she could prolong her career at least in doubles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly