Sania Mirza-Cara Black pair suffers final defeat in Rogers Cup
Zee Media Bureau
Montreal: Sania Mirza and Cara Black fail in the final hurdle of the Rogers Cup. The Indo-Zimbabwean pair suffer a 7-6 (4), 6-3 defeat to top seeds Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci on Sunday.
The 90-minute match at the Uniprix Stadium in Montreal witnessed nine service breaks, including five for the champions. With the Rogers Cup title, Errani and Vinci have earned their 21st career title and fifth this year, thus consolidating their firm grip on the Number One Doubles ranking.
Playing in the first tournament since lifting the Women`s Double crown in Wimbledon, the Italian duo survived the first set tie-breaker then dominated the Indo-Zimbawean pair after trailing 0-2 in the second set to win their first Rogers Cup title. They are the first Italians ever to win a Rogers Cup.
In 2014, they have won two Grand Slam titles – Australian Open and Wimbledon besides reaching the final at the French Open.
The fourth-seeded Sania-Cara pair had earlier knocked out second seeds Hsieh Su-wei of Chinese Taipei and China`s Peng Shuai in the semifinals, while the Italians got the better of Taiwanese pair Chan Yung-jan and Chan Hao-ching.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?