Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis: 5 interesting facts about top-ranked Indo-Swiss pair
Indo-Swiss pair already started 2016 with a bang by bagging the women’s doubles title Brisbane International.
New Delhi: As the world number one tennis pair of Martina Hingis and Sania Mirza is mere a win away from achieving another feat by winning 29 matches on the trot to break the world record set by Gigi Fernandez-Natasha Zvereva in 1994, here are five interesting facts you ought to know about the Indo-Swiss pair.
1) Mirza ended her partnership with Taiwan's Hsieh Su-wei in 2015 to pair up with Swiss legend Martina Hingis.
2) In April last year, following her sensational title win with partner Martina at the WTA Family Circle Cup, Sania created history, becoming the first Indian to bag the World No. 1 rank in women’s doubles.
3) 2015 was a remarkable year for the Indo-swiss pair as they won nine titles together, which included, Wuhan, Guangzhou, US Open (New York), Wimbledon (London), Charleston, Miami and Indian Wells. Their only loss in a final was at Rome.
4) They already started the new year with a bang by bagging the women’s doubles title of the $1 million Brisbane International at the Queensland Tennis Centre.
5) In 2015, Sania Mirza created history by becoming the first female player from the country to win a women’s doubles Grand Slam trophy as she clinched the Wimbledon title with Swiss partner Martina Hingis, in London.