Sania Mirza reaches 25th doubles final of her career
New Haven: Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza touched another milestone in her career by reaching 25th doubles final along with new partner Jie Zheng at the WTA New Haven Open, here.
Sania and Jie, seeded third, got the better of Spanish team of Silvia Soler-Espinosa and Carla Suarez Navarro 6-3 6-3 in the semifinals of the USD 690,000 hard court event, the last tournament before the US Open.
Now they await winner of the other semifinal between the pairs of fourth seeds Liezel Huber/Nuria Llagostera Vives and Anabel Medina Garrigues/ Katrina Srebotnik.
It is Sania`s fourth final of the year and 25th overall, and she emerged victorious in 16 of them.
Sania, the only Indian female to win Grand Slam title, has won two titles so far this season. Both the titles came with American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who now plays only singles.
Jheng is Sania`s fourth partner of the season, having played alongside Liezel Huber, Mattek-Sands, and Flavia Penneta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam