Sania Mirza was a great singles talent, says Maria Sharapova
New Delhi: Women`s tennis icon Maria Sharapova Sunday said Sania Mirza was a great singles talent but it was right for the Indian to focus on doubles due to the demanding nature of the game.
"It takes so much both mentally and physically to play in two formats. It becomes difficult to give equal attention to singles and doubles," said Sharapova on her first visit to India.
The World No.2 recalled her on-court meetings with Sania, who has stopped playing singles owing to recurring knee problems.
"It has been long since we played but she was a great talent. I am really happy that she is doing well in doubles. It is hard to continue with both formats. Sometimes you got to choose one," said Sharapova, who played against Sania twice including the fourth round at 2005 US Open.
Sania is ranked 12th in doubles and 280th in singles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon