Sania-Nuria in China Open semis; Hesh-Bopanna in quarters
Beijing: Sania Mirza and her partner Nuria Llagostera Vives progressed to the China Open semifinals after coming from behind to pip Julia Goerges and Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, here on Thursday.
The fifth seed Indo-Spanish pair overcame the fighting German-Czech pair 4-6, 6-4, 16-14 in one hour and 34 minutes in the quarter-finals.
Sania and Nuria were profligate as they squandered as many as eight breakpoints in the first set before conceding lead.
They lost serve in the second set too but broke the rivals twice to draw parity and stretch the issue to the match tie-breaker, which was a tight affair.
At the men`s competition, running simultaneously, Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna have reached the quarter-finals after scoring a dominating 6-3, 6-0 win over Chinese wild card pair of Mao-Xin Gong and Zhang Ze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider