Sania-Nuria in China Open semis; Hesh-Bopanna in quarters
Beijing: Sania Mirza and her partner Nuria Llagostera Vives progressed to the China Open semifinals after coming from behind to pip Julia Goerges and Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, here on Thursday.
The fifth seed Indo-Spanish pair overcame the fighting German-Czech pair 4-6, 6-4, 16-14 in one hour and 34 minutes in the quarter-finals.
Sania and Nuria were profligate as they squandered as many as eight breakpoints in the first set before conceding lead.
They lost serve in the second set too but broke the rivals twice to draw parity and stretch the issue to the match tie-breaker, which was a tight affair.
At the men`s competition, running simultaneously, Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna have reached the quarter-finals after scoring a dominating 6-3, 6-0 win over Chinese wild card pair of Mao-Xin Gong and Zhang Ze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'