Sania one win away from main draw of Rogers Cup
Toronto: Sania Mirza overcame a second set laps to beat local wild card Heidi El Tabakh and move to the second and final qualifying round of the WTA Rogers Cup here.
Seeded 11th in the qualifying event, Sania dispatched the Canadian 6-0, 4-6, 6-0 after one hour and 42 minutes.
The Indian will next face Germany`s Kathrin Woerle, who defeated Russian Alla Kudryatseva 6-2, 7-5 in her opening round.
Sania made a strong start and was all over her opponent but surrendered her serve thrice in the second set to let the local player make a comeback.
However, she again regrouped and blanked Heidi in the decisive third set to move to the next stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet