Sania one win away from main draw of Rogers Cup
Toronto: Sania Mirza overcame a second set laps to beat local wild card Heidi El Tabakh and move to the second and final qualifying round of the WTA Rogers Cup here.
Seeded 11th in the qualifying event, Sania dispatched the Canadian 6-0, 4-6, 6-0 after one hour and 42 minutes.
The Indian will next face Germany`s Kathrin Woerle, who defeated Russian Alla Kudryatseva 6-2, 7-5 in her opening round.
Sania made a strong start and was all over her opponent but surrendered her serve thrice in the second set to let the local player make a comeback.
However, she again regrouped and blanked Heidi in the decisive third set to move to the next stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town