Sania one win away from main draw of Rogers Cup
Toronto: Sania Mirza overcame a second set laps to beat local wild card Heidi El Tabakh and move to the second and final qualifying round of the WTA Rogers Cup here.
Seeded 11th in the qualifying event, Sania dispatched the Canadian 6-0, 4-6, 6-0 after one hour and 42 minutes.
The Indian will next face Germany`s Kathrin Woerle, who defeated Russian Alla Kudryatseva 6-2, 7-5 in her opening round.
Sania made a strong start and was all over her opponent but surrendered her serve thrice in the second set to let the local player make a comeback.
However, she again regrouped and blanked Heidi in the decisive third set to move to the next stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city