Sania one win away from main draw of Rogers Cup
Toronto: Sania Mirza overcame a second set laps to beat local wild card Heidi El Tabakh and move to the second and final qualifying round of the WTA Rogers Cup here.
Seeded 11th in the qualifying event, Sania dispatched the Canadian 6-0, 4-6, 6-0 after one hour and 42 minutes.
The Indian will next face Germany`s Kathrin Woerle, who defeated Russian Alla Kudryatseva 6-2, 7-5 in her opening round.
Sania made a strong start and was all over her opponent but surrendered her serve thrice in the second set to let the local player make a comeback.
However, she again regrouped and blanked Heidi in the decisive third set to move to the next stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- NSG likely to meet again to discuss entry of non-NPT countries
- Twenty five militants killed in eastern Nangarhar province in Afghanistan
- Kiren Rijiju celebrates anti-emergency day, says BJP against "dictatorship"
- Minister, 15 others killed in Somalia hotel attack
- Congress stages dharnas demanding resignation of 21 AAP MLAs