Sania reaches 25th doubles final of her career
New Haven: Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza touched another milestone in her career by reaching 25th doubles final along with new partner Jie Zheng at the WTA New Haven Open, here.
Sania and Jie, seeded third, got the better of Spanish team of Silvia Soler-Espinosa and Carla Suarez Navarro 6-3 6-3 in the semifinals of the USD 690,000 hard court event, the last tournament before the US Open.
Now they await winner of the other semifinal between the pairs of fourth seeds Liezel Huber/Nuria Llagostera Vives and Anabel Medina Garrigues/ Katrina Srebotnik.
It is Sania`s fourth final of the year and 25th overall, and she emerged victorious in 16 of them.
Sania, the only Indian female to win Grand Slam title, has won two titles so far this season. Both the titles came with American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who now plays only singles.
Jheng is Sania`s fourth partner of the season, having played alongside Liezel Huber, Mattek-Sands, and Flavia Penneta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details