Sania reaches 25th doubles final of her career
New Haven: Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza touched another milestone in her career by reaching 25th doubles final along with new partner Jie Zheng at the WTA New Haven Open, here.
Sania and Jie, seeded third, got the better of Spanish team of Silvia Soler-Espinosa and Carla Suarez Navarro 6-3 6-3 in the semifinals of the USD 690,000 hard court event, the last tournament before the US Open.
Now they await winner of the other semifinal between the pairs of fourth seeds Liezel Huber/Nuria Llagostera Vives and Anabel Medina Garrigues/ Katrina Srebotnik.
It is Sania`s fourth final of the year and 25th overall, and she emerged victorious in 16 of them.
Sania, the only Indian female to win Grand Slam title, has won two titles so far this season. Both the titles came with American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who now plays only singles.
Jheng is Sania`s fourth partner of the season, having played alongside Liezel Huber, Mattek-Sands, and Flavia Penneta.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan