Sania reaches 25th doubles final of her career
New Haven: Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza touched another milestone in her career by reaching 25th doubles final along with new partner Jie Zheng at the WTA New Haven Open, here.
Sania and Jie, seeded third, got the better of Spanish team of Silvia Soler-Espinosa and Carla Suarez Navarro 6-3 6-3 in the semifinals of the USD 690,000 hard court event, the last tournament before the US Open.
Now they await winner of the other semifinal between the pairs of fourth seeds Liezel Huber/Nuria Llagostera Vives and Anabel Medina Garrigues/ Katrina Srebotnik.
It is Sania`s fourth final of the year and 25th overall, and she emerged victorious in 16 of them.
Sania, the only Indian female to win Grand Slam title, has won two titles so far this season. Both the titles came with American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who now plays only singles.
Jheng is Sania`s fourth partner of the season, having played alongside Liezel Huber, Mattek-Sands, and Flavia Penneta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues