Sania-Vesnina in Charleston WTA event final
Charleston: Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina notched up a straight-set win over Ji Zheng and Peng Shuai to enter the final of the Family Circle Cup WTA event here.
The unseeded Indo-Russian pair won 6-2 7-5 to make the finals and be in contention for their second WTA title together after the triumph at Indian Wells last month.
Sania and Vesnina will now take on the fourth-seeded American duo of Bethannie Mattek-Sands and Meghann Shaughnessy.
Interestingly, the Indo-Russian combine dispatched the American pair 6-0, 7-5 in the finals of the Indian Wells event.
In yesterday`s contest, that lasted a little over an hour, Sania and Vesnina dominated the opening set, converting four break points to quite literally run away with it. The second set turned out to be a humdinger as Sania and Vesnina ended up conceding three breaks of serve, while converting the four opportunities they got.
But the Indo-Russian pair did well to hold its nerves and come out triumphant in the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates
- Won't be giving any more statements to media: Kangana Ranaut
- Two Palestinians shot dead after checkpoint attack bid: Israel