Sania-Vesnina in Charleston WTA event final
Charleston: Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina notched up a straight-set win over Ji Zheng and Peng Shuai to enter the final of the Family Circle Cup WTA event here.
The unseeded Indo-Russian pair won 6-2 7-5 to make the finals and be in contention for their second WTA title together after the triumph at Indian Wells last month.
Sania and Vesnina will now take on the fourth-seeded American duo of Bethannie Mattek-Sands and Meghann Shaughnessy.
Interestingly, the Indo-Russian combine dispatched the American pair 6-0, 7-5 in the finals of the Indian Wells event.
In yesterday`s contest, that lasted a little over an hour, Sania and Vesnina dominated the opening set, converting four break points to quite literally run away with it. The second set turned out to be a humdinger as Sania and Vesnina ended up conceding three breaks of serve, while converting the four opportunities they got.
But the Indo-Russian pair did well to hold its nerves and come out triumphant in the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?