Sania-Yaroslava win Citi Open in USA
College Park (USA): Sania Mirza won her third WTA doubles title of the season and 12th overall as she and Yaroslava Shvedova pipped Olga Govortsova of Belarus and Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia in the final of the Citi Open.
Defending their top billing, the Indo-Kazakh pair overcame their second seed opponents 6-3 6-3 after one hour and five minutes struggle.
Sania paired with Yaroslava for this tournament since her regular Tour partner Elena Vesnina decided to skip the event.
She had triumphed at Indian Wells and Charleston with Vesnina and fell in the final of the French Open.
Sania and Yaroslova provided umpteen opportunities to their rivals but prevented damage by saving eight break chances in the second set.
The winners shared USD 11,000 and earned 280 ranking points each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore