Sela clinches Tashkent Challenger title
Tashkent: Israel`s top tennis player Dudi Sela scored a one sided 6-1, 6-2 win over Teymuraz Gabishvili of Russia to lift the men`s singles title at the USD 125,000 Tashkent Challenger which concluded at the Olympic School Tennis Complex here Sunday.
Sela, currently ranked 89th in the world, and seeded third here, took just over an hour to outplay the Russian sixth seeded and claim USD 18,000 and 125 ATP points which will propel him into the top 70 of the rankings.
"I`m thrilled with my win and the points will help to move into playing major events in the coming year. I`m also happy that I won the title here after five years. I congratulate Teymuraz for a good week but he looked tired today," Sela said.
Gabashvili, who won the doubles title here Saturday looked out of sorts and tired. Sela took charge of the match breaking the Russian in the second, fourth and sixth games to win the first set in 34 minutes.
The second set was no different with Sela securing two breaks in the third and fifth games.
"I congratulate Dudi for a great win but I was not feeling well and was too tired," said Gabashvili, who had to be content with USD 10,600 and 75 ATP points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Just married’ Bipasha Basu’s response to Raj Kundra’s ‘family planning’ question is epic!
- Delhi wakes to cool morning after rain, thunderstorm bring down mercury
- Days after Rishi Kapoor's 'baap ka maal' tweet against Gandhi family, Congress workers 'name' public toilet after him
- Uttarakhand sting CD controversy: CM Harish Rawat appears before CBI
- Corruption scandal throws Brazil`s interim government into disarray