Serena apologises to Sharapova for dig at personal life
London: Tennis ace Serena Williams, currently ranked World`s no.1 has claimed that she had already apologised to her Russian counterpart World`s no.3 Maria Sharapova for comments made about her personal life in an article which appeared in Rolling Stone magazine.
According to CNN, the article had comments by Williams over Sharapova`s relationship with Bulgarian player Grigor Dimitrov and also contained controversial passage about the rape of a 16-year-old girl by American football players.
In response to the comments Sharapova had slammed Williams for being in an alleged relationship with a married man with children, who is rumored to be her French coach Patrick Mouratoglou.
Williams said that she had extended the olive branch towards Sharapova at WTA players` party in London last week and had apologized to her for the remarks she made in the article.
Williams further said that the controversy might be a distraction as she bids for a sixth Wimbledon title and 17th grand slam crown, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar