Serena powers into fourth round at Wimbledon
London: Defending champion and top seed Serena Williams bombarded Slovakia’s Dominika Cibulkova with some venomous serves to reach the Wimbledon fourth round after a 6-0 7-5 victory on Saturday.
On another scorching day at the All England Club, Williams raced through the first set against an overawed Cibulkova in just 18 minutes before encountering stiffer resistance from the world number 46 in the second.
The three-times winner, no doubt pleased to be back on Centre Court after grumbling about being banished to Court Two for her second round match, produced one thundering serve after another, firing down 20 aces in all.
Williams will next face Maria Sharapova, who beat the American in the 2004 final, if the Russian overcomes Barbora Zahlavova Strycova of the Czech Republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh