Serena powers into fourth round at Wimbledon
London: Defending champion and top seed Serena Williams bombarded Slovakia’s Dominika Cibulkova with some venomous serves to reach the Wimbledon fourth round after a 6-0 7-5 victory on Saturday.
On another scorching day at the All England Club, Williams raced through the first set against an overawed Cibulkova in just 18 minutes before encountering stiffer resistance from the world number 46 in the second.
The three-times winner, no doubt pleased to be back on Centre Court after grumbling about being banished to Court Two for her second round match, produced one thundering serve after another, firing down 20 aces in all.
Williams will next face Maria Sharapova, who beat the American in the 2004 final, if the Russian overcomes Barbora Zahlavova Strycova of the Czech Republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Japan, China, S.Korea diplomats meet after North Korea launch
- Audio-Technica launches noise-cancelling Bluetooth headphones
- RSS defamation case: Supreme Court to hear Rahul Gandhi's appeal
- Xiaomi Redmi 3S, 3S Prime to go on sale today
- Sakshi Malik arrives to rousing reception, felicitated by Haryana government