Serena powers into fourth round at Wimbledon
London: Defending champion and top seed Serena Williams bombarded Slovakia’s Dominika Cibulkova with some venomous serves to reach the Wimbledon fourth round after a 6-0 7-5 victory on Saturday.
On another scorching day at the All England Club, Williams raced through the first set against an overawed Cibulkova in just 18 minutes before encountering stiffer resistance from the world number 46 in the second.
The three-times winner, no doubt pleased to be back on Centre Court after grumbling about being banished to Court Two for her second round match, produced one thundering serve after another, firing down 20 aces in all.
Williams will next face Maria Sharapova, who beat the American in the 2004 final, if the Russian overcomes Barbora Zahlavova Strycova of the Czech Republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was strangled, body burnt with petrol: Mumbai Police chief