Serena powers past Jankovic for 10th title in 2013
South Korea :World number one Serena Williams bagged her 10th title of the year with a 6-2 6-2 thrashing of Jelena Jankovic in the final of the China Open on Sunday.
The top-seeded American broke the eighth-seeded Serb twice in the first set and three times in the second to register her 73rd win of the season.
Williams appeared in pain after serving an ace during the third game of the second set and her serve was broken for the only time in the match in that game as Jankovic went 2-1 ahead.
But it was Jankovic who had to take a medical time out after the game due to a problem in her hip.
The Serb, however, failed to win another game upon her return to the court as Williams racked up five games in a row to close out the match.
"I`m really excited. I didn`t think I`d win this tournament starting out, so I`m really happy to be here holding the trophy," Williams, who complained of a sore back after Saturday`s semi-final, said during the presentation ceremony.
Sunday`s victory also gave the 32-year-old Williams her 56th career title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet