Serena powers past Jankovic for 10th title in 2013
South Korea :World number one Serena Williams bagged her 10th title of the year with a 6-2 6-2 thrashing of Jelena Jankovic in the final of the China Open on Sunday.
The top-seeded American broke the eighth-seeded Serb twice in the first set and three times in the second to register her 73rd win of the season.
Williams appeared in pain after serving an ace during the third game of the second set and her serve was broken for the only time in the match in that game as Jankovic went 2-1 ahead.
But it was Jankovic who had to take a medical time out after the game due to a problem in her hip.
The Serb, however, failed to win another game upon her return to the court as Williams racked up five games in a row to close out the match.
"I`m really excited. I didn`t think I`d win this tournament starting out, so I`m really happy to be here holding the trophy," Williams, who complained of a sore back after Saturday`s semi-final, said during the presentation ceremony.
Sunday`s victory also gave the 32-year-old Williams her 56th career title.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark