Serena powers past Jankovic for 10th title in 2013
South Korea :World number one Serena Williams bagged her 10th title of the year with a 6-2 6-2 thrashing of Jelena Jankovic in the final of the China Open on Sunday.
The top-seeded American broke the eighth-seeded Serb twice in the first set and three times in the second to register her 73rd win of the season.
Williams appeared in pain after serving an ace during the third game of the second set and her serve was broken for the only time in the match in that game as Jankovic went 2-1 ahead.
But it was Jankovic who had to take a medical time out after the game due to a problem in her hip.
The Serb, however, failed to win another game upon her return to the court as Williams racked up five games in a row to close out the match.
"I`m really excited. I didn`t think I`d win this tournament starting out, so I`m really happy to be here holding the trophy," Williams, who complained of a sore back after Saturday`s semi-final, said during the presentation ceremony.
Sunday`s victory also gave the 32-year-old Williams her 56th career title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert