Serena, Venus to lead US versus Swedes in Fed Cup
New York: World number one Serena Williams and her sister Venus will join Sloane Stephens and Varvara Lepchenko on the US Fed Cup team facing Sweden later this month, the US Tennis Association said Wednesday.
The move ensures the Williams sisters, two-time defending Olympic women`s doubles champions as well as the 2000 Sydney Olympic winners, will be eligible to play in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
Serena Williams, a 15-time Grand Slam singles champion, is also the reigning Olympic singles champion.
The Americans, all ranked in the WTA top 30, will play host to Sweden at Delray Beach, Florida, on April 20-21, with the winner qualifying for the 2014 World Group and the loser relegated with no chance to win the trophy next year.
"I`m really excited about the team that we have," US Fed Cup captain Mary Joe Fernandez said. "We have great talent and depth, which is a perfect combination."
Venus Williams is ranked 22nd, six spots behind Australian Open semi-finalist Stephens and five ahead of Lepchenko.
Sweden`s team features 54th-ranked Sofia Arvidsson, 65th-ranked Johanna Larsson, 425th-ranked Hilda Melander and 489th-ranked Sandra Roma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- US clears reimbursement fund for Pakistan for ''anti-terrorism efforts''
- Unmissable! Deepika Padukone in an all-black outfit from 'xXx: The Return Of Xander Cage' sets—Pics
- US questions India-Iran Chabahar port deal
- IPL 2016: Superman AB de Villiers does it again, takes RCB into final with incredible 79-run knock vs GL
- Mbose.in & Megresults.nic.in MBOSE Tura Class 12th HSSLC Arts Results 2016 Meghalaya Board announced