Serena Williams battles into Montreal semi-finals
Montreal: World number one Serena Williams clinched a gutsy 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 victory over Caroline Wozniacki on Friday to reach the semi-finals of the WTA hardcourt tournament at Montreal.
Williams, who lifted her third Canadian crown last year when the tournament was held in Toronto, battled back from a set and a break down to stretch her career head-to-head record over the 13th-ranked Dane to 7-1.
Wozniacki, a former world number one who is seeded 11th, claimed her only victory over the US star in the quarter-finals at Miami in 2012.
In Saturday`s semi-finals, Williams could find herself across the net from her sister Venus, who was due to play Spain`s Carla Suarez Navarro.
Suarez Navarro is coming off a third-round upset of French Open champion Maria Sharapova.
Wozniacki had been riding an eight-match winning streak, including a title in Istanbul in July.
Williams claimed her fourth title of the year at Stanford on Sunday, but she has disappointed in the majors this year, failing to add to her cache of 17 Grand Slam titles.
She`ll get a last chance of 2014 to do so at the US Open, which starts in Flushing Meadows on August 25.
As she has in many of her recent matches, Williams got off to a slow start against Wozniacki and the Dane was soon up 6-4, 4-2.
With the aid of an improved serve -- which yielded a total of 15 aces in the match, Williams began to assert herself.
Wozniacki twice recovered a break in the third set before Williams finally closed out the match after two hours and 41 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey