Serena Williams declares Caroline Wozniacki’s impersonation not racist
Melbourne: Serena Williams has broken her silence on Caroline Wozniacki’s parody of her, saying that she did not find the impersonation racist.
Earlier this month, Wozniacki imitated her at an exhibition in Brazil and the footage went viral.
Wozniacki made fun of Williams’ ample build by stuffing towels into her top and skirt.
Williams herself has poked fun at her physique, calling herself “bootylicious” and referring to her extra “assets.”
In an e-mail to USA Today, the 15-time major winner said she saw no ill intent from Wozniacki, News.com.au reported.
“I know Caro and I would call her my friend and I don’t think she (meant) anything racist by it,” she wrote from the island of Mauritius off the coast of Africa, where she is training in preparation for the Australian Open.
Williams has been parodied equally irreverently by the likes of Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic.
Williams explained that she hadn’t seen the widely viewed video clip and didn’t understand why it suddenly took on racist tones when others had done it before.
“Roddick and Djokovic do it all the time and Caro does it and now it’s racist.??” she wrote.
Williams said in these matters she prefers to stay above the fray.
“At the end of the day I spend my time focused on things to become better and not bring me down,” she added.
Williams, however, hinted that while she was not personally bothered if others are then Wozniacki might at least be guilty of bad taste.
“I must add if people feel this way she should take reason and do something different next time,” she wrote, punctuating her sentence with a smiley emoticon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday