Serena Williams records second win in Istanbul
Istanbul: World No.3 Serena Williams defeated China`s Li Na in the second group match of the $4.9 million WTA Tour Championships here.
The US multiple Grand Slam winner is now on a 28-1 run since June when she won her fifth title at the Wimbledon.
After an easy opening win against Germany`s Angelique Kerber, the 31-year-old had to dig deep to beat Li 7-6(2), 6-3 in a match that saw 11 breaks of serve Wednesday.
Williams was 4-1 in the first set after serving four double faults, but stormed back to take it in a tie break.
She dominated throughout the second set making two early breaks and sealed the match from her third match point.
Williams is now top of the red group with only World No.1 Victoria Azarenka of Belarus left to face. Li is still to meet both Azarenka and Kerber.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what